History of Durley CE Primary School
Durley Primary School is a popular Church of England Controlled Primary School, for children aged 4-11 years and currently has approximately 120 children on roll. The school was originally built in 1872 and is set in the heart of the small village of Durley, between Hedge End and Bishops Waltham. The school grounds were bequeathed to the school by the church, and are a wonderful natural resource. The large school field is used for sports and playtimes. There is a pond and natural area for use during science work. There are adventure play areas for both infant and junior age pupils. The playground has a marked out netball court.
Over the past seven years, the school has been greatly modernised to include an ICT suite, accessible toilet, library, new hall and classrooms. The school also has a newly refurbished kitchen to cook hot school meals. Recent building work has been to improve the front of the building, with new offices, entrance area and mezzanine staffroom.
75% of our pupils on roll come from the Durley catchment area, with others travelling from the surrounding edges of Bishops Waltham, Hedge End and Horton Heath. Children enter the school at the start of the school year of their fifth birthday. Most of our pupils transfer to Wyvern Technology College at the end of the school year in which they are eleven.